You just found out Greenlight is available in your area or will be soon. Your Internet speed is about to increase exponentially, so what should you do to make the most of your soon to be 5x faster speeds? Make sure you have a router that works best with our service! Our speeds start out at 500 Mbps and go up to 2 Gbps (2,000 Mbps!), so it is important to have a router that matches your new bandwidth. Check out our recommendations below.
1. Don't have a router? Below are guidelines to help you purchase one.
Your router needs:
- AC1900 or better speed rating
- Dual-Band AC, which can operate at 2 frequencies, 2.4 GHz and 5GHz
- An Ethernet cable as its WAN connection with a Gigabit Ethernet port
Below are Greenlight’s recommended routers. Choose the router that will work best with your service level.
Visit our Amazon Store to purchase one of our Greenlight approved router options.
2. Aren’t sure if your current router will work with Greenlight? It might be time to upgrade your router.
Below are some common signs that it is time to upgrade your router:
- If you have upgraded your router’s firmware to the latest release and still experience issues.
- If you are unable to get a wireless signal everywhere in your home and have considered a Wi-Fi extender.
- If your router is over 5 years of age, then it may no longer be supported and may not be compatible with the latest application updates.
3. Where is your router located? Make sure your router is in the best place possible.
Where to Place Your Router Do’s & Don’ts
- Do place your router in a central location
- Do place your router in an open place with airflow
- Do try to place your router as high as possible
- Don't place your router by a mirror. Mirrors can bounce a wireless signal so using a device with a mirror between you and the router will cause a degraded signal.
- Don't place your router on or too close to a fish tank. If a signal passes into a fish tank, the inner walls of the tank paired with the reflective water act like mirrors, causing the signal to bounce off of them, trapping the signal inside and degrading the quality of your service.
- Don't place your router on top or too close to your ONT (modem.) Place a foot apart to avoid interference.
The final step? Enjoy your new, faster speed from Greenlight! If you haven’t placed your order for Greenlight, click the button below to get started. To watch a video on router recommendations, click here!